Re: More on Tame

** Reply to message from "Martin J. Osborne"  on
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:27:52 -0500

> Incidentally, I have written to David Thomas about these problems, and
> he has promised to investigate.

Glad to see you're communicating with him directly. I've been forwarding
(portions of) pertinent messages that came to me either publicly or privately,
but it's much better if those who are really involved with this, and sensitive
to the nuances (which I am not), have an unfiltered dialogue.

One word of caution, though (which may or may not be obvious): David doesn't
actually *use* XyWrite. I gave him a generic installation, which he has
running, but I think that all he basically can do is fire it up and scribble a
bit in a dummy document or on the CMline. My instinct is that we shouldn't
delve into narrow Xy-technicalities too deeply with David, e.g. things like
func NI in the KBD file, lest he conclude that it's too arcane or complicated.
He was, at one point, teetering right on the edge, between trying to solve our
problems, and taking a pass on grounds of "not worth it"; fortunately he fell
our way. He would not, e.g., know what NI is, how it works, or what to do
about it (disassembling Editor doesn't get you very far, believe me).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx