Re: scanning for editable file

As a sidenote, I recently had to give away my ancient and honorable Acer
scanner because I could not get the parallel port unit to work with the
new desktop, understatedly named Death Star, even with a parallel port
card and, finally, a custom cable to convert parallel port connectors to
USB pinset standard. A shame as it had a slightly larger than Letter
sized scan bed. I have to scan music manuscript sometimes and that
margin mattered a lot.

Its replacement, a Mustek A3 scanner, has an 11+ by 16+ inch scan bed
and really lets you go to town on just about any sized manuscript. I
haven't tried it with an OCR application yet but I have no doubt it
could work well with OCR software. Worth inquiring about still before
purchase. The little bit of extra room really enhances its usability
though YMMV.

Peter