Re: ECC support

Jordan is right about parity/ECC support being a function of the chipset,
but I thought the BX was precisely the one that did NOT support ECC. (ECC
SIMMS or DIMMS will run in a non-ECC board, they just won't have ECC
turned on. Are you sure it's running in ECC mode? Check your CMOS.) The
thing is, Intel makes chipsets as well as CPUs; and in some cases, Intel
CPUs would only work on boards that had Intel chipsets. And of course,
Intel and AMD CPUs and have needed different Mboards since Pentium Pro
days. Then there was the whole Rambus-DDR mess, which was pretty much MMX
all over again.
	Anyway, this mad pursuit of speed is wasted effort for the things that
most people use their PCs for. My current machine, an AMD K6/2 at 333
Mhz, is not appreciably slower running WordPerfect or QuattroPro than the
office Pentium IIIs at about 500 MHz; of course, I have 160 to their 128
MB of Ram and a cleaner setup. Their online access is faster, but that's
because my phone lines are subject to some horrible interference. And, of
course, we've long known that XyWrite DOS runs faster on a 286 than Word
on a Pentium 4. (Maybe that should be XyW's slogan?)
Patricia