Re: Windows 10 is creeping into your system, it is time to make a decision!

I, too, had the unobtrusive icon and all the files on my relatively new
Windows 8.1 Lenovo laptop and on my wife's Lenovo Yoga 3 since late
June. However, at no time was there ever a hint of a "forced install,"
only an invitation to do so. On my older Windows 7 Dell desktop, the
files and invitation arrived a little later. Because my wife was
unhappy with the Windows 8.1 interface, even with a program called
"Classic Shell" installed to provide her with a proper desktop and a
familiar start menu. So about 3 weeks ago I upgraded her laptop, which
proceeded very smoothly, and she was very happy with the result. I did
turn off many of the intrusive "features," such as sending location
information to MS, and others -- lots of help for this on the internet
-- and I verified that the whole installation could be reversed simply
by going back to the restore point that the installation had
established. After exploring it a bit myself, I decided to try the
same, minimal installation on my Lenovo, and again the installation went
very smoothly (the sole hitch in the process was the need to uninstall
and reinstall a wireless printer). I was so pleasantly surprised by the
result that I also upgraded my Dell as well, on which I did have to
uninstall the VMWare Player and install an newer version, no big deal.
Though I started as a skeptic, prepared at any moment to reverse the
entire thing, after about 3 weeks of use I have found no reason to do
so. To my knowledge, no updates have been installed without my
permission, and I am very pleased with Windows 10's smooth and solid
function. For example, I have been busy for some time on a project that
requires a considerable amount of text entry but also much more mousing
than I care to do on the touch pad. Under Windows 8.1, it supposedly
was possible to have the touch pad disabled when a mouse was attached,
but I never could get that to work, and the result was that I had
difficulty controlling the cursor while entering text: even the
slightest errant touch would send it flying. Under Windows 10, as soon
as I plug in the mouse, the touch pad gets turned off; it even works
with a wireless mouse. This working feature alone has made the upgrade
worthwhile to me. I know it is not popular to say anything positive
about Windows 10 on this forum, but I find it a definite improvement
over Windows 8.1 and fully as good as Windows 7.

Best regards,

Bill
---
William TeBrake