Re: new computer XY-DOS

>> I would suggest that we try to achieve the following objectives:
>>
>> * enable easy DOS-prompt access to XyWrite and other DOS
>> programs (such as WordPerfect)
>> * provide reasonable screen and font sizes for Xy
>> * allow XyWrite keyboard settings and key combinations to work
>> as expected
>> * enable the use of W4W filters
>> * give read/write access to at least one directory available to
>> Windows
>> * provide a convenient way of dealing with long filenames
>> * enable printing using Xy
>
> VDosXy does all that and more. No installation, no "tweaking" of
> Windows required. Just download the files into a directory, take 5
> minutes to configure, and you're in business.

I figured that was the case, but the 5 minutes to configure can be a real barrier for the
non-technical. Ive had to help enough people with XyWrite, DOS and Windows over the years to know
that what seems dead obvious to the initiated is sometimes completely baffling to the non-technical
among us.

Ive run Xy4 with VDosXy, but I havent yet done any configuring or checking to see whether W4W and
printing work (I havent had any need for them for a long time, so Im pretty rusty). Could someone
who has created the setup and is familier with using W4W filters and printing to, say, a LaserJet-II
write a set of instructions that takes someone from finding VDosXy to configuring it for a default
Windows 8.x setup (i.e. C drive, standard locations for programs and documents, etc.)?

Myron