Re: 98 again

Bill Troop  wrote:

> My major complaint
> with 95 is that with 96MB of RAM, I still constantly
> find that when running Netscape 4.74 and Eudora 4.3,
> and XyWrite, it soon becomes impossible to switch
> between programs.

I used to run Internet Explorer (version 3, I think), a Japanese e-mail
program, and XyDOS 4 simultaneously under Windows 95 on a pre-Pentium
laptop with all of _24_ MB of memory, and aside from a moderate amount
of disk-churning almost never experienced any problems. However, when I
recently tried to use that same laptop as a modem and print server in a
small home network (with AnalogXProxy), it crashed every time a Java
applet was accessed, finally proving that it wasn't up to the demands of
the modern age any more. Still, your above configuration should work,
unless Netscape or Eudora are doing something strange (which of course
is quite possible).

Disregarding the multitasking aspect of things for the moment, the DOS
environment under Win95 and Win98 is very similar, and XyWrite for DOS
should run fine under both (it certainly did and does on a number of
machines in this household). If you upgrade to 98 over your existing
Win95 installation, your DOS settings should migrate without requiring
much tweaking.

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx