RE: imaging software

Beware Acronis. If you read their forum, and other security forums, such as
Wilders, you will see what I discovered the hard way. Acronis True Image
Home makes fundamental changes to your Opsys and is devilishly difficult to
uninstall, leaving behind a lot of registry entries that, for me, caused
havoc with USB flash drives not being recognized. I had ATIH10 and finally
got enough of it uninstalled (the regular uninstall is worthless) to correct
the problem, but it took a lot of troubleshooting. And I still have Acronis
junk in my registry. Whenever I use their co-called cleanup utility (which
also requires you to edit, on your own, additional registry keys the cleanup
program, for some reason, misses), I get a BSOD and have to invoke a restore
point. I've disabled all Acronis services and the junk that's left in the
registry is not throwing off any admin event warnings or errors, so I'm
going to leave the registry alone. I even had to toss two USB drives that
would not work on the Win7 machine that once had Acronis on it. They work
fine on any other machine, but on the PC that had Acronis they kept throwing
of Event ID 11 errors that named an Acronis process/driver. I'll be
troubleshooting this, I reckon, for some time.

I did not replace Acronis with another imaging program. Instead I installed
a 2TB NAS on the system and, using Second Copy, backup all important data
and the like to that every day, then, to be doubly safe (I'm in the middle
of a complex project and have a lot of data), I subscribed to one of the
online backup services, SOS, for the length of time of the project.

Michael Norman