Keyboard reassignment in Vista

As XyWriters often like to change key assignments, herewith my
observations on what will and won't work in Vista SP1 on my Dell 1720.

Works:

SharpKeys - - doesn't have a glamorous interface but is the only
program that worked on my system.

http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

Won't Work:

1. Above all Microsoft's very own Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 --
won't show the keyboard in its window. Possibly something to do with
my high-res (1920x1200) laptop.

2. KeyTweak -- by far the best interface, but registry simply won't
accept its commands [all these keyboard reassignments are made to the
Windows registry]

3. CNT Designer - - interface designed by some sadist - - makes
anything we have seen in DOS and Windows look good by comparison --
could not bear to use.