Re: Does 'load .spl' have a mind of its own?

Michael Norman wrote:

> Interesting story in the NYTimes Circuits section on new Windows XP, which
> eliminates DOS and is built on new code. Though not an issue immediately,
> down the road, as many on this list buy new machines, it may be. Question
> for the experts here: If XP is built around NT code (no DOS), will we be
> able to install and use XyDos on a DOS-like screen? Or should we
> save/buy/hoard Win98 disks?

Not sure whether NT-4 retained (at least some of) the DOS core, but it does
reasonably well when it comes to running a majority of DOS programs, so long
as they don't directly manipulate the hardware. Somewhat less well with
16-bit, WIN 3.x era programs, and quite a bit worse than preceding Win OSes
when it comes to games -- perhaps due to the lack of later versions of
Direct-X. This applies up through Service Pack 5, and I can't speak to
anything later than that. More demanding users, esp. business and
mission-critical users, seem to agree that NT-4 was the first WIN that proved
generally stable and reliable.

I've heard it said that WIN-2K is essentially NT-4 at "Service Pack 7" (SP-6
was the last official update) with some enhancements, plus some functionality
that had been in W98, and a few interface tweaks. I have no personal
experience with it. However, the compatibility or "legacy" features mentioned
above are apparently less, and expected to decline further.

But no one is going to force you to upgrade. (If there is some new "Must
Have" feature you need, you may feel differently. In that case, keep in mind
the new and rather stringent Registration / anti-copying procedures MS will be
rolling out on their new s/w, which is guaranteed to be a PITA ! At least
until hackers disseminate various workarounds.) Anyway, I bought my NT-4
(legal and registerable) a couple years ago from a dealer at a computer show,
the price then being $90. With some hunting around, it might have been less.
Much more recently, I have seen it going for around half that price at such
shows.

Or stick with W98. I bet you'll have plenty of company.

Jordan