Re: DSL, Win XP and Xy

Peter:
Hewlett-Packard (1-800-613-2222) has the following laptop (model #F3466WT) on special this week, in "limited quantities," for $1199. Like you, I am worried about Xy 3.55 not running full-screen on XP (and other DOS difficulties with that system) and have been looking for a new Win98 notebook.
You can also search the big reseller sites such as   http://www.computers4sure.comwww.computers4sure.com   for Win98 notebooks. I can tell you from looking that they are fast disappearing.

"The HP Omnibook XE3L is a suburb value. This model has a 14.1 inch XGA TFT display and includes an Intel® Mobile Celeron? processor at 1.06GHz, 256MB SDRAM, 20GB HDD, 56K modem-10/100 LAN, 8X DVD-ROM, Microsoft® Windows® 98 Second Edition. The Omnibook XE3L models do NOT include: capability for port replication/docking, front bezel LCD display, front bezel CD player buttons, infrared."
--------------------------------
You wrote: ......
Dell tells me their cheaper laptops are their "home" (not "business") ma-
chines, and they all have Win XP "native." Their best advice: add 98 myself.
I'd pay much more for a "business" machine with 98, which has less horsepower than
the home machine.  Someone on this list noted months ago that it ain't that
Bottom line: Can anyone assure me that Xy4, at least, will run full screen on
XP? (Xy 3.55 would be nice too, but I don't want to get into the further
tangle of the CUA conventions.)  Or shall I hang tough with Win 98, shell out the
extra bucks for it (one way or the other), and make *that* the OS that works with
both DSL and Xy?  Maybe DSL isn't worth the trouble either, except that AOL over
normal phone lines in New York has been ugly since 9/ll.
Arrrgghhhh!
Peter Brown
mailto:psjrbrown@xxxxxxxxpsjrbrown@xxxxxxxx