XyDOS Window box colours

Can and would anyone explain the interaction between XyWrite's management of
colour (text, CM, etc.) and WinXP's management of colours in a DOS box? I
used to think that XyWrite overrode Windows settings (unless you shelled to
DOS), but now...

When I started using XYDOS again---this time under WinXP---the colors were
all mixed up. ...not just unexpected, but unusable (things like yellow on
white, pale pink on light grey, or similar color-perception challenging
combinations, not to mention the stealth-cursor). My attempts to change the
colors by means of loading XyWrite *.dsp files were unsuccessful. I had two
or three I commonly used with Windows up through Win2K, but they produced
unacceptable results.

I browsed around looking for an original, plain-vanilla XyWrite display
file, but couldn't find one. Can anyone point me to an "original"? My
disks are hidden somewhere in the basement.

Is there a WinXP DOS box setting for "out-of-the-box, default, untweaked DOS
6.0 screen colors"?

And yes, the display file is the last thing I load.

Thanks, friends.

Myron, colour-challenged in Fredericton, NB, Canada