Re: Xy4 spelling and Microlytics -Reply

The Britspeak MICROLYTICS dictionary for XY4 DOS is the same as the
one for XY3+ (also called DICT.SPL but 141901 bytes, dated 4/12/90,
17:21). Down here in the southern tip of Africa we also use the Queen's
English. To enable it to work in XY4 DOS you need to add some fancy
footwork to your STARTUP.INT - this trick was provided way back then,
when TTG still supported its XyWrite 4 customers. It also works under
XY4 WINDOWS by the way.

Because of the XY4 DOS & WINDOWS hyphenation bug (which nobody
on this list seems to have a problem with), I have just recently returned to
using the SIGNATURE dictionary because it has a more stable
hyphenation setup. Again, here I use the British English version (UK.DIC,
637440 bytes, date 13/08/91, 12:07). Instead of the exceptions going
into DICT.HYP as is the case for the MICROLYTICS dictionary, they go
into the ordinary supplementary dictionary (PERSONAL.SPL or whatever
you call it). At present I am comparing a SHOHYP of DICT.HYP (with the
SIGNATURE dictionary installed) to the Oxford Spelling Dictionary which
provides a hardcopy list of how words are hyphenated in British English.

The annoying habit of the SIGNATURE dictionary prompt screen parking
itself over the suspect word does not irritate me because I only use the
infinitely faster batch spelling. The equally annoying slow down in the
everyday performance of Xy4 with the SIGNATURE dictionary installed is
amply compensated by a 166MHz machine.

Regards
Jon Inggs

>>> Peter Evans  13/May/1997 02:24am >>>
Robert Holmgren asks about British and Spanish dictionaries for
Signature
and Xy4DOS. I don't know about Spanish, but there is one for Britspeak.
(Er, I think. I've just taken a look, and realized that I didn't bother to
install Xy4DOS on this machine. Anyway, my poor memory tells me that I
bought the Britspeak dictionary for Xy3+, and then when I prodded TTG I
received another Britspeak dictionary free for Xy4DOS.)

("Er" is the British spelling of "Uh".)

Peter Evans