Re: hyphen conversion

Scott Berkley:

>Occasionally, I get a file in xywrite 3+ which
>has hyphens in it which are unsearchable.

When you view that part of the Xy file in another file listing utility --
the LIST utility built into Take Command, Vern Buerg's List, the file
lister within Servant Salamander, etc., what do you see where you expect to
see a hyphen? My guess is that it isn't a hyphen. (If still in doubt, try
viewing it in hex.)

Sorry, but Pam Upton's advice contains at least one misunderstanding.
ASCII 45 *is* a hyphen, and the most standard kind there is. (Well, ASCII
45 decimal is a hyphen. ASCII 45 hex is a capital E.) However, if while
you are holding down a certain pair or triplet of keys (with my keyboard,
left Ctrl, left shift, and left Alt) you type 45, XyWrite will give you an
interesting set of bytes that it will treat as a non-breaking hyphen.

If you're using a monospaced font, en and em dashes may also look like
hyphens.

Peter Evans