Re: OT: W98-related question

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> >http://www.ccleaner.com/
> >
> >that clear out Registry detritus for you. Ccleaner
> also clears out
> >Temporary files and other leftovers (all at user
> discretion) and found me
> >an amazing 1.4 GB on a very full hard drive.
>
> I downloaded Ccleaner, but when I went to run it, it
> looks like its default
> setting would remove a lot of stuff that I
> use--including applications like
> Office. Please advise.

Yes, I was looking for something like this also.
There must be considerable wasted space that I'd like
to reclaim on those boot partitions, especially since
they keep having insufficient free space available to
perform a defrag. The partition structure of these
drives makes it impractical to enlarge those
partitions, so what I end up having to do in order to
defrag is to temporarily relocate about 400M of files
(stuff like Service Pack files), which is a trial and
error process and rather a PITA. The end result is
that I run the defrag only about twice a year.

Anyway, I recall a computer consultant telling me that
one needed a program that had a huge and current
database of which files could *safely* be deleted.
And that might depend on what you have installed,
implying some need for the program to analyze your
setup. I don't recall exactly what program he
recommended, but I don't think it was one of the
freeware ones. I'll have to ask again, next time I
see him.

Jordan