Re: This time a real clip bug: it crashes...

** Reply to message from Bob Zimmerman  on Wed, 01 Mar 2006
15:59:36 -0500

Bob, the ongoing problem for me is, if I can't reproduce the error (or crash)
that you're experiencing, then I can't debug it -- I can only guess. This was
the case with your KBD file as well. It loaded, and worked, perfectly well for
me, under both Win95 and Win2000: if I started with CapsLock ON, I was not
frozen after XyWrite loaded, and all TABLEs worked. I have testing machines
that run many flavors of Windows: 95 OSR2 (1 machine), 98SE (2), NT4 SP6 (1),
2000 SP4 (2), and XP SP2 (3). Usually I just test 2 or 3 of them, but with
Clip I've tested almost all of these installations (that's a lot of testing).
There were issues related to XP; I think those are solved. A few other Win98
users had issues as well, e.g. Patricia, that I never really understood and
could not reproduce. (I *could* reproduce the XP problems.)

I've taken your text, tried it in both Win95 and Win2000, and it Clips just
fine -- for me. Both into and out of XyWrite. Clip.EXE does not crash.

May I suggest that the alternative, simplified Clip installation that I
supplied to you two or three days ago will probably work without error. It
takes about 1 minute (or less) to install: pop Clip.EXE into Editor's
directory, pop the old Clip frame into U2 (and LOADHELP). Then try it
out. It may serve your needs.

Alternatively, since you work in a Desktop window, windows services are always
available to you: Alt-Space+E+C.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx