Re: headers with name and page

Reply to note from ArtL7@xxxxxxxx Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:34:27 EDT

> I know how to get a header where I want it...

Hey, YOU'RE the one who asked, "when we do pages, how can we get
it to put in the first page number, 1"!

> What I don't know is how to somehow write into the RH
> instructions at the command line my first or last name, Art
> Levine. Exactly what is the step-by-step process to getting a
> name and page number in the running header command?

You might first read the manual to get a grasp of the basic
CONCEPT of what a running header or footer is. A mechanical
listing of the steps won't help you much if you don't have that
basic understanding. Anyway, here are the steps:

Command RH. A command window opens.
Command FR.
Command PN.
With the cursor in text (not on the command line), type a space
(or whatever you want), then your name, then a carriage return or
two to create white space between the header and the main text.
Hit F3 to close the command window.

You're done. Inspect the resulting RH (actually RHA) command in
eXPanded view to see what you've created. The double angle
brackets that enclose embedded commands are what we Xy-experts,
and all of France, call guillemets (see, e.g.,
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?guillemet), not to be
confused with guillemots, birds of a different feather. Edit the
header text as desired.

If what you're asking is, "Can I compress all of the above
commands into a single command?", the answer is yes:

RH  Art Levine**

WHERE "<" above stands for the left guillemet (in many Xy setups,
produced by pressing Ctrl + <, the less-than sign), ">" stands for
the right guillemet (Ctrl + >) and "*" stands for the carriage
return in command-line form (in many setups, produced by Ctrl +
Enter). Do NOT enter "<", ">" and "*", but rather the characters
they stand for!

You can save the resulting embedded RH command triangle to a
Save/Get key for easy recall.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx