Re: Ventura and XyWrite

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:34:41 +0200

Yes, the font metrics are a proprietary hassle in GEM, and it would be nice to
simply let Windows handle the fonts and printers at the operating environment
level.  I had to install a new font in Ventura last week, and I found myself
digging around in really old territory. You get the impression that someday
(soon) this body of knowledge will be completely lost to civilization!

I wonder if Corel still markets the older versions?

I have plans to move to Framemaker someday, but it's a big expense and
relearning exercise; also, I would be working in both NT (or Windows 2000, aka
W2K ) and OS/2. I suppose it's coming . . .

In the meantime, Ventura GEM and XY are two fine old DOS apps that get the job
done nicely together. It's kind of fun, in Ventura, to click on Import Text
FIle and then to see XyWrite right there on the file type list.

Tom Hawley
New York
tjh@xxxxxxxx