Re: word EOF

At 10:56 AM 9/17/97 -0400, ElFreireic wrote:
>What I'm lookin for is a way to get XyWrite to ignore [1Ah] as an
>end of file char. I want to view Word files but not corrupt them. . . .

I don't know much about Word format but point out that the FFh character
too will confuse Xy, as will the guillemets, as (I think) will FEh (if
you're using ver. 4), as may certain so-called control characters. For
viewing Word files, if there's an advantage of Xy over Buerg's LIST, 4DOS
or Take Command's internal list command, or even a text editor such as TSE
(etc. etc.), I can't think of it. If you must or want to use Xy to view a
file produced by a different word processor (perhaps because your regular
viewer/editor has suddenly become unusable), then I suggest you first run
the "alien" file through an awk or perl script or (my own lazier choice)
the shareware SNR to produce a temporary file for the job--a file in which
all characters that might make Xy gag are converted into innocuous
characters such as spaces. The original Word (or whatever) file is of
course unaffected by your derivation of another file from it.

Peter Evans