Re: FAT16 on NTFS--semi-off topic

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sat, 19 Nov 2005
00:23:18 -0500

> Is there some way to make a logical partition under
> XP (NTFS) to simulate or be FAT16?

Simulate, no. Be, yes. I agree with John: floppy (which is FAT16 by
definition) or (maybe) ramdrive. If you want to downconvert FAT32==>FAT a
logical hard drive, Partition Magic, or any partitioning tool, will do it, as
long as partition is smaller than 2GB... Don't downconvert your C: drive! Or
an NTFS drive. Or any dynamic drive. Or any drive you really value... backup
data first, blah blah blah. If you carve out a new drive, which seems
sensible, lower driveletters will change, programs looking for CD on drive M:
will now not find them (because on N:), etc etc. I'll bet CB86 would work on
CDFS. You could make an ISO of it with MKISOFS, then mount it with Daemon
Tools as an emulated CD (for speed)?

What is CB86, anyway?

More fundamentally, I've never understood why you write programs in Basic
language and then "translate" them to XPL. It's incredibly limiting, and the
translation is guaranteed to be unnecessarily prolix. Nobody apart from
Erickson knows enough about XPL to be able to do that -- and even then, they're
not 1:1 languages. A few simple instructions, just for laughs, sure -- but
complex ones?... I mean, let's see your InStrRev-to-XPL routine. Mid$.
Chr(). Do While. How do you handle something as simple as an Else? And
that's all first-floor basic(sic) stuff! Fuhgeddaboutit.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx