Re: spammistry & telemarketing

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Wed, 24 Nov 1999
17:23:38 -0500 (EST)

-> I think hanging up on telemarketers (which I used to do) is not
-> the best response. The better thing to do is to say: please
-> remove my number from your calling list.

If you're a Bell Atlantic customer (no doubt other telcos as well), you
can have junk calls blocked for a few bucks a month. It works well.
Telemarketers are disconnected after 2 rings. You thus have the option
of taking the call (if you answer within 2 rings), or ignoring it.
People who mask their caller ID get a recorded message instructing them
to prefix *82 before redialing. This has been a tremendous help.
Something like 60 or 70 percent of my calls are from telemarketers.
It's harassment, nothing less.

Apologies for the digression. It's a bete noir.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/