[No Subject]

Forward from Michael Norman:

> > Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:55:53 +0200
> > From: Alan Heubert
> >
> > Can anyon esuggest to me which of the following
> > solutions might work, or suggest another?

I use XyDos w/Ultravision on a 15-inch desktop monitor
and when I upgrade systems I will stick with the 15-inch
(NEC E500) because the dos characters look great and
allow me to spend six to eight hours a day composing text
without eye strain (grey characters on a dark blue
background). But I recently inherited an IBM laptop and
tried UV for laptops, but could get only 3/4 of the
screen. So on the laptop I use XyDos in a window with
large characters and can work well with it. UV code
apparently does not work with laptop graphics boards in
the post VGA super-VGA era. Some time ago here there was
a discussion of different fonts available for XyDos in a
W95-98 window configuration. Perhaps if one of the
veterans can either recap that discussion or point to an
http or archive address where those might be available, \
newcomers to the list would benefit. And there is the
helpful and always current Xywebb site. FN: I bought Note
Bene but found too many inconsistencies -- that is, too
many instances where it differed from XyDos or simply
hung up. Worked closely with some very polite and very
generous Note Bene company techs, but could not work out
enough of the problems. As is said so often here, for
many of us, there is simply no substitute for XyDos.

Michael Norman

PS: Note Bene has excellent conversion filters. I use it
to prepare XyDos files for MSWord.

Michael Norman
Associate Professor
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
New York University
10 Washington Place
New York, NY