Re: DOS commands etc. (Off Topic)

Gavin Budge wrote:

> It would be interesting to have more details about how you did this - can
> you do it in Win 98SE?
>
> >MickeySoft has been removing stuff for years. They dropped DISKCOMP,
> >DISKCOPY, and FC a long time ago, the latter being a useful complement to the
> COMP command.
> >At least up through W98, I was able to lift _certain_ DOS versions of
> >these items, add them back, and have them still work. Other versions would not
>
> >work. This was >on other people's systems. Don't recall if I had as much
> success with NT
> >on my own system.

Gavin,

Since I did this for other people's systems, rather than my own (which only has
NT, and an even less often visited Win 3.x partition), it is going to be difficult
to retrace my steps. Sometimes I kept a cd or zipdisk of the work I was doing
while on these assignments, which might be the only way to find out for sure.
Maybe a faster way is this: I think I only had access to the following DOS sets:
MS DOS 5.0 & 6.22, as well as IBM PC-DOS 2000 (a.k.a. IBM DOS 7.0). Ergo, the
files had to come from one of these. I tend to discount the first one, as I don't
recall having to reach back that far. While I could certainly dig out the
relevant file versions and send them to you, lacking a W95 or W98 system here, I
have no way of re-testing this on my own. NT tends to be its own special case,
and I sort of doubt such a retrofit would work there.

Jordan