SORT

I have several times had trouble with SORT in III+ in which the operation
alphabetized everything just fine but returned the list with the first letter
of each entry chopped off. It finally turned out that the culprits were the
hard returns that got into the files as they moved from our VAX back to our PC
workstations (newspaper). All of Xys hard returns were replaced by returns that
looked the same but acted funny when you tried to run operations that involved
them. Besides sort, it seems we cannot do a simple search for these renegade
returns and replace them with the Real McCoys, the X wild card must be used (Xy
won't recognize the bogus returns specifically). Does anyone know what's going
on here and if there are other solutions beyond and better than the one we're
using? Thanks.[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[A[A [A[A[A