Re: XYWRITE DOS screen freeze; intellectual property

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Sun,
28 Oct 2001 13:26:05 -0500

> ... just copying the software and challenging the owners' right to
> object, since they had abandoned it; ...

I don't see any evidence that TTG has abandoned XyWrite. To the
contrary, according to the press release quoted here a few weeks
ago, TTG is "in the midst of a reorganization," with the goal "to
keep this site and other TTG products running and selling." What's
more, TTG continues to license SmartWords -- of which XyWrite is an
important subset -- to Nota Bene. So XyWrite is still valuable to
TTG (and, if it's in reorganization or even liquidation, to its
creditors). For this reason, I wouldn't assume that TTG is about to
abandon XyWrite, release it to the public domain, or even allow it
to be freely distributed. In short, I think we're spinning our
wheels.

Personally, I'd be content if the Xy file archive went back online.
Not that I consider this a likely eventuality. Maintaining a
website costs money, and money seems to be what TTG, at the moment,
lacks.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx