Re: Kill/Lawyers

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, William D Rich wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 1995 kfrank@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Marv Katz:
> >  ->Actually, some of my best friends are lawyers....
> > As someone who helps people become lawyers, I'm not sure I
should show my > (virtual) face around here, but I'll do it
anyway.
>........ > Long live XyWrite and TTG.

Permit me to join in. For once in my long career I agree
*completely* with the opinions and request for information of
another attorney. I hope that after we obtain favoralbe answers
to your questions.

Incidentally, I asked some time ago about conversion from Word
Perfect for Windows 6.1 (I'm using XyDos4.016) and someone [I
think it was Nathan] said there was one; but I've not found it
in XyW yet. I know that W4W has one as it shipped with AskSam, a
text database which I use. Unfortunately it's only useable in
Windows, and not with a DOS program.

I have used XyWrite as my personal word processor for years. At
one time I customized my keyboard, programmed, etc., but those
days are long past. I'm amazed at the comments that its hard to
learn. To me its intuitive and easy to use. I never had my
office install it, however. Perhaps I should have done so, but
first we used MultiMate, then switched to Word Perfect,
primarily because it was so prevalent in the legal profession.

I found the conversion to Word Perfect almost impossible. The
only thing that saved me was their wonderful help screens. They
were intuitive, the program was not. However, once I got the
hang of it, things moved along pretty well. Now that I'm using
WPWin 6.1 I'm coming across all kinds of bugs.

I found that WPWin was just too slow in Warp mode, so I upgraded
to XyW's latest DOS incarnation and am starting to use it,
although I've uninstalled Warp and have gone back to straight
Windows, which would be fine if it and WPWin didn't have so many
Faults (General, that is)

With respect to XyWrite for OS2, I think that the market is
there, but the funding to develop and market the program had
better be there in advance. However, the existence of a devoted
[sometimes carping :-)] user base is a tremendous asset which
could be utilized to get consumer acceptance pretty quickly.
After all, 100,000 users is a very small percentage of
*existing* OS2 users.

:Jacob Green | INET:jake@xxxxxxxx | CIS :73457,3711 |
Voice:201-455-0455:
:  2 Ridgedale Avenue | P.O. Box 551 | Cedar Knolls, NJ
07927-0551  :
:   I will put pithy saying here as soon as I find the time to
   :