Re: Conversion filters (was NB Win availability)

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 10:33:52AM -0500, Dorothy Day wrote:

> > >You need conversion filters. These were bundled into later versions of
> > >XyWrite, but as I recall they were not bundled into 3+. The filters
> > >bundled with XyWrite 4 were made by Word for Word, which was later sold
> > >to Adobe, later sold to INSO, who did nothing with them, and are now
> > >extinct.
>
> Except for the fact that INSO used them to further enhance QuckView
> Plus, whose filters are now better than ever, but just for viewing, not
> actually converting.

Actually, in speaking with some people at inso, both a product manager type and a programming type,
i found out that the original word for word filters do still exist but are only available if you
want to liscense them. And, in my case, where i was interested in their Interleaf conversion
filters, which i've since found, there was nothing available via Quickview OR Wordport.

So, WRT Inso and the Word for Word filters, this was technology that was lost!

Is it just me, or isn't it ironic, that in our march forward of latest software/hardware/OS, etc.
that technology can get lost, so much so, that someone else will have to come along and re-invent
the wheel?

Sorry, just felt like ranting a git!

Russ