Chain printing footnotes

Well, I took an old file with lots of footnotes, broke it into three
separate chapter files, and experimented. This is an old bug, as I
recalled when I was working on it. Sometimes it will print more than one
page of notes, but never all the notes to that chapter, and the next
chapter was missing its first note. The workaround is to make each file a
separate set in the filelist file. That is, if the file that lists your
chapters is FILELIST.TXT, it should read
ch01.txt
ch02.txt
cho3.txt
and so on, with a CR/LF after each file name. The notes will then
renumber in each chapter, but that's OK; it's the usual practice when
notes are given after each chapter (trust me, I've copy edited tons of
this stuff, and that's the publishing and scholarly convention). To get
your pages to number consecutively, you'll probably have to do a trial
print first (oh, those poor trees; use the back of some other printout),
find out the page number on which each chapter (with its notes) ends, and
then do SP to the next number at the beginning of each file. Indexes and
TOCs will also have to be manually tweaked, but then don't they always?
Or you could try using the tech style that the XY manuals did (now we
know why!): ch number -page number (e.g. 1-32).
Patricia