Re: Patricia Godfrey, in memoriam

I am so sad to learn of Patricia's death.

In early 2006, in an extended private correspondence, she advised me on how to buy a custom-designed computer. She was extraordinarily generous. She created a spec sheet from scratch for me, explaining the importance of each item on the list, providing a lively analysis of the pros and cons of different available iterations in a briskly opinionated but scrupulously fair way, answering all my questions, and translating every technical word into lively, articulate English.

Our email conversation lasted from April to August. It was enormously educational for me; and it was a great deal of fun. That private correspondence ended after my new computer was built and delivered, but thereafter I always read her comments on the list with special pleasure.

I'll miss her.

Lynn Brenner