Re: DOS v Win encoding

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on
Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:05:07 +0100

> I downloaded the files as instructed in help ansity
> and followed the instructions

Which files did you download? Since you seem to be running in a
DOS window, the only files to DL are fonts. Did you install
them? Check that they work? The factory-supplied screen fonts
for DOS windows are all 437 or 850 unless you use TrueType fonts
-- not raster! Manuel and I left many messages about changing
to 1252 fonts in DOS windows -- see XySearch.

> OK, I restarted again and got my 43 lines - - but the accents still
> seem very strange - - greek letters instead of accents - -

The accents "still" seem very strange. Still since when? Since
it went to 25 lines? Since ... what? There aren't any accents
in the 1252 charset! Accents are mostly only found in the
Speedo charset from char 722 up. Let's be very specific. Are
you seeing a Greek pi on char 227 (CodePage 437)? Or an O-grave
(850)? Or an a-tilde (1252)? Just use the appropriate font and
you'll get what you want.

> just thought I would try full screen mode, but
> then I get the following message, "this system
> does not support fullscreen mode"

That's a totally different issue. Vista uses a new model of
video driver called WDDM, which supports MS's new Aero video
protocol. Some Vista WDDM drivers support DOS fullscreen,
others do not. When they don't, the best option is to install
XP-level (XDDM) drivers, if available, for the same video
adapter -- see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926657. Check
with your computer manufacturer first, see if they have XP
drivers for your specific machine and adapter. Download BOTH
the WDDM (Vista) and XDDM (XP) drivers, so you can reinstall the
WDDM drivers if XDDM gives you trouble (or you really like the
features of Aero). If the computer manufacturer doesn't have
drivers, try to get them from the adapter manufacturer (nVidea,
S3, ATI, whoever). If the installer balks because it says that
these drivers aren't designed for Vista, then go into the
Properties of SETUP.EXE (or whatever is doing the driver
installation) and set XP SP2 Compatibility Level and install
again -- this time it will install. Reboot. Voila: full
screen VGA. No more Aero, but it's just a resource drain
anyway... If you want a fast Vista system, you gotta disable
the cosmetic frills.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx