Your two questions [was Re: XyWrite hangs on quitting]

Reply to note from fegehrke@xxxxxxxx Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:29:48 +0000

> I have two questions:
[first question answered off-list]

> 2. I saw the reference to Xywrite 4 and wonder what that
> is. I use the dos v3 and never got the windows version. How
> is this v4 obtained and what features does it add?

It's XyWrite 4 for DOS. It has an expanded command set, an optional
menu interface (in addition to the command line), scalable Speedo
fonts for printing and display, can edit big files (up to 4
Megabytes), and uses more disk space than Xy3 (typical installation
is maybe 1-2 Megs -- still minuscule by Windows standards). And
it's Y2K-ready!

Xy4 came out in 1993 (actually in 1991, as Signature). We've been
talking about it here since 1994, when this list began. The
archives are full of discussions, debates, flame wars and, yes, even
information about the relative merits of 3 vs. 4. The archives can
be searched via the list processor (instructions are in the Welcome
text you received when you subscribed) or, alternatively, downloaded
from http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/#xylist. It's a lot of reading,
but if you really want the low-down, there's no substitute.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx