Re: Off topic: CD-R backup

I thought Retrospect Express  could back up an entire
drive to a series of CDs, and restore a bootable drive. It's also supposed
to be able to select files by date, etc.

At 12:15 PM 6/18/03 -0800, J. R. Fox wrote:

>Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
>
>> Yes, well, backing up one's whole system would be lovely, but as far as I
>> can see, Windoesn't won't let you. Oh, one can create a compressed
>> specialized backup file, but one would have to be running Windows to
>> restore it, no? But actually copying C: in toto? You cannot do it from
>> within Win, because some of the files are "in use." Booting into DOS, you
>> cannot access your CD-R (at least, not in record mode). I thought I might
>> have found a workaround with my new, huge, hard drive: boot to DOS, copy
>> C: to a directory on F:, then reboot to Windows and copy the F: directory
>> to a CD (once I get a CD-R). Halfway through the procedure I get an
>> "invalid path" (it was in the middle of the Acrobat Reader folder, and I
>> cannot imagine what was invalid--unless the path was so long that it went
>> over DOS's path length limit?) and the whole shebang shuts down. Grr.

Nice try. Did you copy the directory with XXCOPY?

Maybe you could track down the invalid path in the Acrobat Reader folder,
by deleting or renaming it.

Isn't there a Linux program that will copy your disk image to CDs?

Norman
Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019