Re: Xy on New PCs; icon; path

At 11/9/2002 09:48 PM -0800, Robert Holmgren wrote:

Re: attempting a partition...
Frankly, I'd try to fix XP first. I presume you're doing all this to get rid
of the intolerable jerkiness, right? There may be other solutions besides TAME -- have you spent any time looking? Tame was just the first thing I saw, and I
happened to know the author; but I also don't happen to be distressed by this
problem, so I didn't invest any effort. Keyboard handlers? Screen refresh
utilities? Poke around. There's also no guarantee that an OS emulator is
going to solve this problem, which may have a large hardware component. Even
if you emulate W98, no way will NT permit 9X to directly manipulate the
hardware. Don't they make a 30-day trial?
Yes on the trial, both VMware and Virtual PC have the 30-day test-run
versions. And I agree with Robert: much better to try to get XyDos to work
in XP, if XP is what you're stuck with. Also I don't recall anyone
reporting in here who has partitioned XP and discovered whether XyDos works
smoothly -- no cursor jerk -- in both a DOS box and in full-screen DOS. If
so that report would be most welcome, especially given the first part of
Robert's post not quoted here.
Meanwhile I will poke about for screen handlers and screen refresh
utilities, as I hope others here will as well and report the findings. And
just to follow up, is Tame still under review or has the author been too
preoccupied with other matters to turn to our discreet problem? Thanks.

Michael Norman