250 gig hard drive and fat 32 and ntfs

I wanted to install windows xp on my new 250 gig drive that had not previosly been used in my new pc.  Wen I reached the stage where it asked me to choose what format, the only choice was "ntfs file system ( quick )" or "ntfs file suste" .  there was no option for fat 32.  What do I do. Is the problem that the hard drive has to be partttioned before installing an operating sysgtem because you cannot install a fat 32 system on a drive that large and so it has to be partitioned first or is it somenthing that I am doing that I do not realize I am doing. I have partition magic 8.  I plan to follow Roberts advice about using some ntfs drives aproximately 50 gigs on one or two drives and partitioning the 250 gog physical drive into at least 10 drives.

mailto:avromf@xxxxxxxx or af413@xxxxxxxx