Re: In Case Anyone's Considering Vista...

Patricia wrote:
(I'm hoping IBM's attempts to let Lotus Symphony go open source--it's in beta, last I heard--will pan out. 1-2-3 is my first, second, and third choice for a spreadsheet. but all my copies of Millennium Suite are so old, I doubt they'll run under Vista.)

I think it's out (I seemed to remember an announcement of its release), but in any case see http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa; eudora="autourl"> http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

Apparently, in the comparison with XP, Vista did better with Office 2003 than Office 2007 (still lost to XP). I don't know enough about either Office version to do anything except repeat that fact.

XP SP3 is also being touted in the same comparison for its 10% speed improvement over  SP2. Which sounds big, until you express it as a 3 second improvement.

More than anything else, though, the benchmark testing was apparently part of a public relations campaign for the outfit doing the testing.

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie