Re: OT Re: feature creep and code bloat

"Two really horrible things happened around 1991: ... 2) to make
more money, biz decided to infiltrate and arrogate the Internet,
hitherto a very pleasant *community* of first-name-basis
mutual-assistance pro bono afficionados. The consequences
include viruses, off-topic discussions, and horrifying
decisions, like reformatting your drive and thereby losing your
entire configuration. I would instantly trade my 19Mbit
super-duper fiber optic connection for a dial-up, to return to
those sunny days."

Ah, those halcyon days when we all got by with 64K hi-mem! My cell phone
has more CPU and harddisk capacity than the mainframe computers which
guided the moon rockets. Makes you appreciate elegant code.

Parallel internets (www2, www3, and so on) are, I believe, the
intelligent person's response to the appropriation of the Internet by
commercial (and occasionally dubious) interests.