Re: which computer

--- Harriet Hodges  wrote:

> I need a new computer to replace the "made-up" one
> with Windows ME on it that has unresolvable hardware
> problems.

> My guy (A) has offered to get me a Dell or a Tiger
> Direct and take this one back. A professional (B) I
> consulted warns against either. "Cheap parts," he
> says. He can make me a better one for $650. (I have
> known B and bought stuff from him for several years,
> so he isn't just any salesman. I have quite a bit of
> confidence in him. Perhaps more in him than in the
> friend who does computers on the side and made me
> the faulted one. )
>
> My question is, which computer, not which guy, as I
> can really continue with both or either.

We've already weighed in on Win versions. In regard
to the hardware, I don't think I'd be inclined to go
with either Dell or Tiger Direct - for the reason you
cited, and for others. Those names naturally spring
to mind, in a budget category. But I would
investigate other options, possibly including having
your tech contact custom build something, if the price
is not out of reach.

Jordan