Xy4 Setup

Reply to note of Carl Distefano

> Not in my experience. For instance, I can REad/100 EDITOR.EXE
> (which is chock full of Ascii-26's) right to the bottom of file.

Thanks for your reply.
What exactly "/100" does? Is it an automatic expanded view?

> What gives you that "perception"? Is there a particular file you're
> trying to read, and can't?

I use Xy4 as often as I can for everything (i.e. not only for genuine word
processing); in opening a file I encounter many times the problem of the
truncation. As a small test, I attach the following 2 files.
The first one, TEST.DOC, generated by WinWord v.6; Dos reports it is 6656
bytes long.
The second one, XYSAVED.DOC, generated by Xy4 following these steps:
	D 1A=1
	call test.doc
	save xysaved.doc.
Dos reports it is shorter (only 2836 bytes long).
To be noted, the file generated by Xy4 is not recognized by Word as a valid
Word file, and you are prompted to indicate the conversion to be applied.

Once opened the TEST.DOC file, switched to expanded view (for better
check), gone to the end of file (Ctrl-End plus manual adjusting) and ran
the character count utility, Xy4 Dos counts 2840 bytes (Xy4 Win 2837): more
than the lenght it will save! Both in Xy4 Dos and in Xy4 Win there is no
way to put the cursor at the very last displayed character.

About my EDITOR.EXE. It's length is 681664 bytes on disk, but only 594807
bytes when opened by Xy4. When saved by Xy4, the length is "usually" 594808
(EOF added) but sometimes it appears to be different (e.g. 678727): a
mystery!

Adriano Ortile
ortile@xxxxxxxx