Nota Bene update

Dear XyWriters:

We have gotten quite a few questions from XyWrite users who have not yet
ordered Nota Bene, but are still interested. While the introductory special
that we advertised earlier is over, we are still offering XyWrite users
competitive upgrade pricing for Scholar?s Workstation. The price is $249, a
significant discount compared to our list price of $449 and our academic
discount price of $349. Scholar?s Workstation includes the Nota Bene word
processor, Orbis (a multi-file search engine), Ibidem (a bibliographic
manager) and, for a limited time, Ibid. Plus (an expansion of the Ibidem
functionality to include non-bibliographic databases). Some of you who
purchased the word processor have asked if you can upgrade to Scholar?s
Workstation. The price for this is $100 until December 31 and then $150.

While I am not aware of a whole lot of interest in Lingua coming from XyWrite
users, some of you may be interested in the following update that I posted to
the Nota Bene list. It is reproduced below.

Best wishes to all and thanks for your interest in Nota Bene.

Dear NBers:

Our most frequently asked question is ?When will Lingua will be available??
Here?s the latest update.

It is coming and we think it?s going to be a great program. As many of you
know, we are planning to make a prerelease version available before the
program is ready to be broadly marketed. We had hoped that it would be in
your hands by now, but some technical problems took more time than expected
to fix (they have been fixed) and we are now running into vacation time. Two
of our programmers and our most knowledgeable installation technician are all
taking vacations this week and/or next.  We now expect to ship the
prerelease by the end of first week of January.

The prerelease will support word processing in Greek, Hebrew and Cyrillic
including full right-to-left word wrap in Hebrew, flexible accent placement
and multiple fonts in sizes ranging from 4 to over 300 point in 1/4 point
increments. Accents can be stacked above and/or below any character in
virtually any combination. In the prerelease, languages will be displayed
only in Graphics View and some features (searching, sorting, conversion
to/from other word processors) will not be supported or only partially
supported. Basic documentation will be provided, but not in its final form.
You will be able to import NB DOS files and/or NB DOS Ibidem databases,
except that IPA, math or box graphic characters may not import properly.
More information is available at www.notabene.com/lingua_prerelease.html (we
are planning to add a link directly to this page from our home page, but it
may not be active yet).

We are now taking orders for Lingua and you can choose to wait for the final
version or to get started in early January with the prerelease version. The
cost is the same in either case and if you order the prerelease, you will
also automatically receive the release version. Your credit card will be
charged when we ship the first version to you. If you have already placed an
order for Lingua, please let us know if you want the prerelease; otherwise we
will assume that you want to wait until the full release version is
available. We currently expect that the release version will be available
sometime in February or March. See our web site for more information.

Best wishes to all for a happy holiday season!

Anne Putnam
President, Nota Bene Associates, Inc.
www.notabene.com
1-800-462-6733 (1-800-4NB-ORDER)