Re: Describe Voyager Plus (non-XY)

On Mon, 09 Sep 96 19:03:09 you wrote:

>When I wanted to make formatting changes in a 99 page document in
>DeScribe, I had to go through and make the changes manually; I could't
>simply go into expanded mode and do a CIA for things like margins,
>justification, etc. I ended up converting the document back to Xy, from
>wence it came, making the cvhanges, and going back to DeScribe.

If anyone cares, here's how I use Describe and XyWrite: for
correspondence, it's basically Describe, because the stationary
manager (the Bitstream "500 Fonts" CD-ROM is another great deal -- I
got it for only 35 bucks) is awfully nice, and once you figure out the
envelope printer, it works like a charm. For manuscripts, XyDos is
still unbeatable, and really, manuscripts still should be printed in
Courier.

>The speller is inadequate. Styles are elaborate, but difficult to use.
>The frame orientation is hard for us text-oriented folks to understand.
>The icon bar looks primitive. The keyboard isn't configurable, at least
>not much.

I haven't had problems with the speller. I agree that Styles are a
bit confusing, but I think the manual -- it's pretty good, and I
recommend studying it for a least a couple hours before going into
Describe -- does a decent job explaining frames.

>I write in XyWrite, import the files to DeScribe, format and print. All told, that's
>a pretty decent combination.

Couldn't agree more.

Rafe T.