Re: OT: Win10 upgrade news

On 25/5/16 12:18 AM, J R FOX wrote:
> Thanks, Flash.  I began seeing articles like this a couple days
> ago.  MS just DOES NOT CARE what reactions they engender, with
> these tactics.  I hope they wind up paying a big price for it,
> inspiring waves of defections.  Arguably, the Mac never looked so
> appealing.
>
> Has anything changed or been added to your instructions toward
> attempting to bring the W10 beast to heel ?  I may have a link or
> two for you, in case someone else found something that you may have
> overlooked or not been aware of.

Jordan,

I'd be interested in following any links you have discovered. It is
getting increasingly daunting to prevent Win8.1 from upgrading to
Win10 and Win10 from updating itself, within the OS itself. It seems
MS will stop at nothing to try to trick people into upgrading and then
updating the OS.

I no longer trust the MS on-board firewall to block its own behavior,
and the list of MS update-servers I have discovered is getting longer
every week. So, for the two Windows machines in my network which still
go online at all, I am currently blocking _everything_ on my external
Cisco firewall except known harmless servers; a radical excision, I
agree, and probably beyond the skill-level of most home users, but
standard best practice in any secure corporate network.

More to follow,