Re: and another option

Hello Jon,

While WMlite might be something to test if you are interested in
experimenting with virtual solutions, I think VirtualBox provides a
solid foundation for many legacy applications in the Win 7 - 8 realm.
VirtualBox has a good update record and it is a very good mainstream
application, and not so heavy as VMware. If you have Win 7 Pro and no
particular reason to proceed otherwise, XP mode is a safe bet. Then
again, if you think ahead and plan to upgrade to Win 8, you could start
using VirtualBox with W2K or XP (if you have a spare license to
activate). This has the merit of easy transfer from Win 7 to Win 8. A
VirtualBox virtual machine works in both equally well.

As regards transferring files, XP mode might be a bit easier with
drag-and-drop, but I find that I have no trouble with VirtualBox shared
folders either. I have my Win 7 Desktop as a shared folder shortcut on
my W2K virtual machine Desktop. When I am done with something in the
virtual machine, I just drop the file onto the shortcut, and bingo, it
appears on my Win 7 Desktop. And if I want to fetch something from my
Win7 Desktop, doubleclicking the Win 7 Desktop shortcut on my W2K
Desktop opens a view of my Win7 Desktop in W2K. This works very well,
but ideally you need a couple of monitors to make it really shine.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx