Re: file dating in Xy 3.54

In your Message regarding "file dating in Xy 3.54" dated 27 Nov
98, Carlo Caballero  said that ...

,
>   I use 3.56 and haven't experienced anything like your problem. Nor
> do I remember anyone on the list mentioning such a problem with XyWrite in
> any version. Are you sure DOS isn't passing XyWrite an incorrect date?

 V. sure.. Over the years, I have migrated my trusty Xy from one
machine to another. I hung on to my old 086 as long as I could,
so it wasn't till '94 I moved into 386 mode. Come Jan 1 1996
 (and this was using, wait for it, DOS 4.0) Xy's dates went to
1980 for new files. The program knew they were really 1996,
and put them in the right place in date order. When I moved on
to a 486 and DOS 6.22, same problem. I assumed there was
some quirk about the display in Xy (I was already suffering
jeers from idiots about my "ancient" software) and I have learned
to live with it. DOS, incidentally, gives perfectly accurate
date-stamps; Xy clearly reads accurate date stamps, but displays
funny ones.

I assumed that this was a common problem. But then, until I
discovered this listserv group, I assumed I was just about the
only person still using Xy.

Thanks for your suggestions re DOS commands; tried that years
 ago. Whatever it is, it is much more deep-rooted. Anyone out
there with 3.54?

Incidentally, I am deeply reluctant to upgrade to 4 (not because
I am short of $129, fortunately) but out of profound
technological conservatism. But is there any way I can upgrade
legally to, say, 3.56?

--

Alan Lothian

alanl@xxxxxxxx