Re: Long strings in CI ///

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Tue, 30 Nov
2010 22:54:18 -0500

> I'm skeptical of BigChg being what I want, because it expects
> you to DeFine the long text for the replace string. This is to
> be done under program control, and if I'm going to use a SEarch
> and DeFines, I might as well do that directly and print the
> replacement string (which is the alternate way I've been doing
> it in some cases). That way is considerably slower than CI.

I'm not sure I understand this. The replace string is in S/G K; the
search string is what's DeFined. In any event, there are many
possible ways to grab the input (for example, the command could be
structured as BIGCHG /longstring1/longstring2/ in a U2L window --
that would be an easy mod), but the underlying procedure in BIGCHG
is rock-solid XPL. I'm skeptical of your multiple CI procedure,
because I'm not sure how you are verifying that the pieces you're
replacing add up to unified occurrences of the whole long string as
opposed to fragments scattered across the document. If you come up
with a way that's CI-fast and dead accurate, I'll be interested to
hear about it.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx