Re: Describe Voyager Plus (non-XY)

In , on 09/09/96
  at 03:14 PM, Jimmy C Diecker  said:

>My thanks to John Gordon and Rafe Tennenbaum for their (laudatory)
>comments re Describe that, with the detailed catalog info, have
>solidified my resolve to try it. I'll probably be running it under NT on
>a machine arriving shortly; I hope it does as well there as under OS/2.

I'm jumping into this thread late, since I've been traveling, but...

I like DeScsribe, but after a year of using it for jobs that require
decent printing, I still haven't switched from XyWrite/Dos as my
day-to-day word processor.

DeScribe is far superior to the Windoze products I've tried--especially
WordPerfect/ Windows. It is reasonably configurable, and it has a good
draft font.

But it still lacks XyWrite's flexibility.
When I wanted to make formatting changes in a 99 page document in
DeScribe, I had to go through and make the changes manually; I could't
simply go into expanded mode and do a CIA for things like margins,
justification, etc. I ended up converting the document back to Xy, from
wence it came, making the cvhanges, and going back to DeScribe.

The speller is inadequate. Styles are elaborate, but difficult to use.
The frame orientation is hard for us text-oriented folks to understand.
The icon bar looks primitive. The keyboard isn't configurable, at least
not much.

As I said, I continue to use it for those jobs I need to print; I write in
XyWrite, import the files to DeScribe, format and print. All told, that's
a pretty decent combination.

jb