Re: xy dos encription

Oun Kwon wrote:

> Why don't you try to use a rather universal file compression program (zip.
> exe) which you can add a password? (I am not sure how easy it can be
> cracked though.)

I was going to reply to that query but did not get around to it, so I'm glad you
did. Zip is one that I thought of also, but I think it's encryption feature may
be weak. (For PKZIP, anyway. Haven't fooled around much with INFOZIP or
WinZip.) I have cracked it, by accident, in the course of some basic
experimentation. There is all sorts of encryption s/w out there, at various
strengths, some of it free. Particularly some older DOS util.s, which are
probably well below par by today's standards, but would be enough to discourage
a casual snoop. For email, there is PGP (Pretty Good Privacy, which I believe
was taken over by NAI, of McAfee Anti-Virus fame.) For major, longer documents,
probably something else is indicated.

> General caution: When I zipped files including xyw-dos, it was
> disheartening to find later that I have forgotten the password. You need a
> personal system of keeping passwords (make sure again no one can peek
> through) somewhere (on computer or on paper file?)  I have so many
> passwords for so many uses (e.g. AOL, Barnesandnoble web, multiple different
> ones at the work site) - - - it is mind boggling to keep track of them!

Yes, that's an issue, no matter what type of encryption you use. Not just
encryption: there are plenty of passwords in our lives these days. I need one
just to discuss my account with the phone Co., for example. A full list of all
but the most critical passwords should be available to you backed up somewhere
**on paper**, in case of emergency. Suggestions: safe deposit box, or in some
innocuously labeled file in your filing cabinet that you know about but no one
else is apt to notice. Also, some other s/w can help out here. There is a very
good "Password Keeper" program for the OS/2 platform called KeyRing2. It's a
mini-database, where you can also store other important or sensitive info, such
as Registration #s and product Serial #s. Of course, the whole program is
encryption based, so you need a "Master Password" just to get in. The
encryption it uses is industrial strength. There is another program I've heard
of in this genre, for the Win platform, called Password Corral. I believe that
both programs are Shareware, so you can 'try before you buy.'

Jordan