Re: Workaround (Binswanger)

what circumstances is overwrite valuable? I, and most others apparently, > NEVER use it. ≫ > Harry: Simply a matter of personal preference, I think. > > Do you touch type? My hunch is that hunt&peck typists are more > comfortable in insert and touch typists prefer overstrike... I use overstrike quite a lot, especially in timed text such as audio/visual scripts and documentary editing where the narrator is matched to the visual and I'm editing existing dialog. Since that dialog fits within a time frame, by typing in overstrike it makes it easier to stay within the time frame by not typing past or falling too short within. In some instances I'll set the older text to a faint gray color or some-such so's not to be intrusive but to aid in my maintaining a template of sorts since everything has already been timed and blocked. I'll also use overstrike to merely type over existing text I don't want anymore. It effectively deletes the text while new text is being written, all in the same action. Makes sense to me. Similarly, when changing or editing fixed-length database records, I'll usually prefer to work in overstrike since the field lengths aren't altered, just the text within. Ditto when writting source code, frequently enough the text being changed is being changed with exactly the same number of characters. Why bother to delete when the new text simply replaces the old via overstrike? Et cetera. Bob