Re: F5--and everything went black...

Harry Binswanger wrote:

Okay, Fn key is not the problem. There two things to quickly isolate the
problem:

No, but general keyboard lag could be. On this new XP box, I'm
noticing that when I hit the Shift key, a few keystrokes later text starts getting defined.

The whole "jerky cursor" problem is a function of the lag between the
time a keystroke is entered, the time it gets to editor.exe, and the
time editor.exe gets to display it on the screen. This is not just
XyWrite: on the W2K box at the office, a plain-vanilla DOS prompt
eshibits it too.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong) the NT flavors of Windows
allocate CPU cycles to each running process, including any NTVDMs. So
I suspect that when I hit the Shift key, there is so much time between
the depress code and the release code that Xy--and Windows--"think"
the shift key is being held down, and that, for Windows, signals
"start defining." It's possible Jon's one press of F5 is being read as
more than one, or as a holding down of F5.

I should perhaps add that so far from holding keys down too long, I
have a perennial problem with not keeping the shift key depressed long
enough: I am forever hitting the letter I want capped AFTER I've
released the shift key, and so it comes out lc.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx