Re: A Real puzzler

** Reply to message from Frank Brownlow
on Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:48:46 -0400

> Exactly. Shift-F8 is the better way into graphics view.

Better than what, exactly? Shift-F8 in your KBD file is just
function XH (close menus, if they are open), function WZ (toggle
into VGA graphics) -- whether you do that with a keystroke in a
standard (apparently unmodified) keyboard file, or you do it
manually on the command line, makes zero difference. When
people refer to actions by their (more or less arbitrary)
*assignment* in a keyboard file rather than the command(s)
issued by that keystroke, it signifies two things to me: 1)
this person doesn't customize, and indeed assumes that nobody
else does either, that we all just "know" what Shift-F8 does by
force of habit (absurd! Most of us use XyWrite precisely
because it is customizable! Shift-F8 is function MoVe in my KBD
file); and 2) this person doesn't know what the actual commands
are, or, probably, what they do. One pitches the level of the
discussion accordingly -- at novice level!

> I think some of you guys fiddle around too
> much trying to tweak the programme and don't
> do all that much writing with the programme.
> The programme is so confused with all of the
> tweaking that it derails now and then.

Could you amplify how "the program is derailed"?
Nobody holds a gun to your head, insisting that you install or
use any tweak. "Derail" is not a diagnostic term, and conveys
nothing useful. "Overloads the Save/Get buffer" would be
diagnostic, for example.

How would doing more writing and less tweaking help (assuming we
don't do much)?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx