Getting a new printer.. suggestions?

I am about to buy a new printer for both photos and document
printing. I' have had my work horse hp 500 forever and am actually
running it on an original xy4 filter.

  Between the newer epson's and HP's, which gives best quality and
at the same time, allows itself to be used with xy4 without too much
trouble?

  I don't really want to take up the room for 2 printers unless I have
to. But I don't want to be struggling to print every next xy4 document.
Thanks.
"After all, submarining has always been a game of Blind Man's Bluff."
               -- a top submarine admiral

Sherry@xxxxxxxx