Re: dictionary memory

Myron Gochnauer wrote:

> Last week, with a little help from my friends, I reported that I could
> use the UK dictionary with Xy 3.017 in a Win95 DOS window or full-
> screen session by setting EMS to 4096.
>
> But now, a few days later, with the same settings, XyWrite reports
> "Insufficient memory for the function". And nothing I do can get it
> to work again.  Any ideas?
>
> Oddly, if I load XyWrite this way (from a Win95) desktop icon and
> call a file that is about 100K in size, XyWrite begins to use an
> overflow file ( the "X" goes on ).  I don't remember this happening
> before until I had called much larger files.
>
> Any idea what is affecting memory availability?

Aha! The case of the reappearing X is the key. Is EMS extended memory or
expanded memory? I never remember. At any rate the Windows memory
managers, e.g., HIMEM.SYS use the other. Indeed, by default, or so I
recall, Windows understands that "no ems" is active.

Here is a line from my config.sys: DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

You will not have failed to notice the NOEMS parameter.

Anyway the guess here is that the modifications we suggested to you last
week worked fine . . . until you shut down and restarted. Now you're
working with _no_ EMS again.

Indeed, when you do, the X will appear on a file longer than, say,
"Hello, my name is Legion."

Hope this helps.

--
Leslie Bialler